Pages

14 January 2013

Denial of Moving On

little helper packing up the apartment.
I've been telling myself for the past three months to stop thinking about our departure date. I wanted to just enjoy what was happening now, and not think about our time in Lebanon coming to an end.

After that fatal car bomb that rocked Lebanon back in October, our decision to leave was thrown back-and-forth. The constant weighting up of pros and con was tearing us apart. I’ve learned it doesn’t matter where you are in the world it’s the same three factors when it’s not only your decision – family, work, lifestyle.

Lebanon stabilized quickly after the incident and we returned to our daily routines as ‘normal’ as could be. Mikey’s contract was due for renewal & we were keen to rollover into another year working in Beirut. However, biggest bombshell dropped on us was the news of another baby on the way!!

Completely caught off guard with the idea of another little traveler on board, and we found ourselves agreeing that moving closer to family for support was the right decision for us, “even if it’s temporary” I reassure myself.

In my denial about leaving, I kept telling myself “Beirut is not over yet, no need to pack now” but there was an apartment to pack up and supplies in the kitchen cupboard to be eaten served as a reminder.

“10 cans of foul madams to get though (Middle-Eastern baked beans). Should I take a few cans with us to Switzerland?”

The mental list of what will stay and what will go lengthened as I made my way from one room to another. Will shoes be sacrificed for toys? Leave the towels, take the toothbrushes…but no action was taken… “Beirut is not over yet, no need to pack now.”

While packing decisions seemed so daunting, I threw myself into several creative projects that consumed all my time right up to our last days. Knowing that I was leaving town (even if it’s temporary) was the push that I needed to act on my dream projects that I always feared or doubted I couldn’t do. Faced with “now or never”, I went head-on into my work knowing I had nothing to loose.

I lead my first photo essay workshop and photography exhibition titled Lens on Life, filmed a short doco on Lebanese artist Rafik Majzoub and worked alongside prominent Lebanese documentary filmmaker Carol Mansour. Working alongside some of the most inspiring, intelligent, and honest women I’ve ever met has been a positive life-changing experience which I will be forever thankful.

And the results amazed me I’m proud to say. It’s the most exciting work I’ve done in years. As it turns out, I always had a strong sense of self, a sense of my personal limitations and boundaries I could push if I had the confidence. I just had to learn how to listen to myself and how to express it.

That’s the very reason why I love traveling it’s the learning experience of living with the UNCOMFORTABLE that continues to help transform yourself and your relationships with our family, friends and work.

We landed in Lebanon in a place of self-doubt, uncomfortable with our new surroundings, no bearings, no signposts. The exhaustion that comes with constantly getting lost and feeling frazzled can be erased with one decent short conversation that ends with a "we should catch up, what's your number?" We plunged ourselves into Beirut, new house, new acquaintances, a brand new life.

I still had the feeling I wasn’t ready to leave, but the decision was made and we’d given notice to our landlord. The weeks quickly counted down to days and the melancholy of knowing what's about to be missed settled in like one of Lebanon’s ominous storm clouds.

 While you're handing over the keys, your trying to disconnect your heart from the neighbourhood you've grown to love, the people you used to greet in the elevator and at the local grocer everyday. 

Farewell to dear friends at the nursery

We’re not going to see Mateo’s friendships grow and bloom, he won't be stoping in for a treat at the corner store again.

One last treat yippee!
My thoughts tried to savor each final moment. “Tonight is our last night in the apartment. Tomorrow we will walk the Corniche one last time, go to CafĂ© Younes for one last coffee, and then we’ll spend our last night in Hamra and share a last meal with friends.”

Seven bags with all our belongings and a truckload of memories are squeezed into two taxis heading for the airport. Looking across at Mikey holding his hand, he says “I don’t know how expats do this all the time. I’m never bloody moving again” I laughed, but there were tears forming. Cities are flashing through my mind, we’ve been here before, and we will be here again, we wouldn’t give it up for the world.

A new adventure, a new baby, is exciting, terrifying and exhilarating. Stepping forward and moving on, means that that something is being left behind. And sometimes it would just be so nice to take it all with you.



7 comments:

  1. Would love to talk with you about having a baby in Beirut! We are from Washington state and just moved here in August. Our first baby boy is due in June and I'd love to talk with someone about delivering here (if you did) and where you find decently priced supplies around here. I'm getting a little scared at the lack of like-minded moms I've met!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Amanda, I hope this isn't too forward. We met in September, You came to a party on our roof. I teach first grade at IC. I too have been following MumatLarge out of curiosity of how to manage a baby here in Beirut (I'm expecting a little one in July!). I've seen your comments on this blog and thought perhaps we could meet up and share experiences and resources or whatever. Check out my blog at: http://emileenaik.wordpress.com/ or send me an email (emilee.naik@gmail.com)

      Delete
  2. Ann, Thanks for a great blog! I really enjoyed reading about your Expereince while here in Beirut. I wish you the best of luck in your new adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ladies, I'm so glad you wrote, there are so many first-time expat moms throughout Beirut, I found blogging was the best way to meet moms and share resources. Emile (and anyone else out there), if you have any valuable & practical information about birthing, pre-natal and anti-natal, please feel free to forward onto me, I am happy to post it on mum@large. I can make a special page for birthing resources & nurseries in Beirut to spread the word...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a coincidence; yesterday I heard that maybe we will be moving back to Europe this summer instead of next and three hours later I find this blog through Expatblog.
    How is everything going?
    To the other moms. I came to Beirut 3,5 years ago with a 7 weeks old baby and had my second one here almost one year ago. There are great groups of moms, Lebanese and Expats, and we have a lovely group of breastfeeding moms. Additionally there

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pregnancy yoga, preparation and breastfeeding yoga as well as music for children and mom&baby yoga courses.
    Feel free to contact me for more at ginni1071@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ps sorry for the messy post. It's difficult to edit the text once written :-/

    ReplyDelete